The Johnson Cottage or “Sorrento” (its official “Cottages at Macatawa Park” name) is located on the shore of Lake Michigan with spectacular views of sunsets, the lake and Holland Harbor Light, also known as Big Red. As a matter of fact, the picture above is the view from the front porch of the cottage during one of the spectacular sunsets. Macatawa Park is a community of cottages that come in all shapes and sizes, but that share access to the wonderful wide sandy beach, lighthouse views, fishing and boating.
The cottage is located 5 miles west of Holland, MI and lies on a peninsula between Lake Michigan and Lake Macatawa. The Holland Harbor channel connects the two lakes. The Cottages at Macatawa Park are located on the south side of this channel. The name “Macatawa” is derived from the Ottawa Indians who called Lake Macatawa “Black Lake.”
And now for a little history on “Sorrento.” After vacationing in Macatawa with their family in the 1920′s, our grandparents, Dr. John Lapp and Mary Clancy Lapp, purchased several lots on Dune Court. Cottages previously stood in this area, but were destroyed by fires that swept through Macatawa Park.
The Johnson Cottage was built in 1929 by George Noble, a local builder. Sorrento was born! Mary and John Lapp lived in Chicago and spent summers here at Sorrento. Even though John Lapp traveled extensively for his work, he was often here at the cottage with his family.
Present day, the 5th generation of the Lapp family tree is now enjoying this paradise.